Saturday, April 15, 2006

El Noa Noa

Speaking of patios, there is nothing I would rather enjoy on said surface than some excellent Mexican food. I always feel like good Mexican food is meant to be enjoyed outdoors. Maybe it's the fresh flavors of cilantro, avocados, and tomatoes. Or maybe I just like to pretend I'm on the beach in Puerto Vallarta while I sip my perfectly blended, icy margarita.

I recently spent a beautiful Friday evening on the excellent patio of El Noa Noa at 7th & Santa Fe, in the heart of the Santa Fe Arts District (making this a perfect spot for First Friday noshing). I haven't encountered a Mexican restaurant with better atmosphere since Casa Bo. Granted, there are no cliff divers, but the food is quite edible. A large trellised wall seperates the eating area from the street, keeping out the noises of Santa Fe. On the weekends, a mariachi band plays in one corner- just loud enough to be atmospheric without being overwhelming. The patio is large enough to seat big parties, as well as give everyone the breathing room which is lacking in some more crowded spots downtown.

El Noa Noa offers some interesting, authentic dishes along with the classic chile rellenos, enchiladas, etc. I opted for the shrimp tacos on my recent trip there, and they were excellent. Large, juicy shrimp and marinated mushrooms and onions stuffed into three warm, fresh tortillas served with a massive helping of guac and chopped tomatoes. Messy but delicious! My friend (who introduced me to this fine establishment) ordered the enchiladas suiza, which were also reported as excellent.

I'm well aware that there is another Mexican joint in LoDo with a very popular patio and very popular marg's. That place is great if all you want to do is get drunk with the rest of the after-work crowd on a Friday night. But if you want to actually, say... eat, skip that bordertown cafe and make the short trek to El Noa Noa.

2 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Have you been to Benny's or Lime?

I Ate Denver said...

I have been to both... Benny's I thought was just ok. I do like Lime though. Excellent enchiladas!